I have a degree in Environmental Sciences (2006) and a PhD in Ecology and Environment (2011) from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM). I joined the research in Sustainability Sciences through the Socio-Ecosystems Laboratory of the UAM. I have developed my research career linking ecology, social analysis, applied research, rural development and agricultural sciences; being associated editor at Ecosystems and People Journal.
Since 2015, I joined the Madrid Institute for Rural Development, Agrarian and Food Research (IMIDRA). From IMIDRA I carry out a line of research focused on “New strategies for integrated rural development”, from a transdisciplinary perspective linking science-management and practice. This line lands through the Autonomous Operative Groups of the Rural Development Plan (2014-2020; EIP-Agri), focused on the promotion of agroecological practices and rural dynamization. This approach has allowed me to deepen the analysis of agricultural ecosystem services, the promotion of inclusive social agriculture and the implementation of open agriculture laboratories (Agrolab) to reactivate the agricultural sector and as a collective strategy for the conservation of agricultural landscapes.
For me Fractal is a space for mutual support of researchers, colleagues and friends. A space without limits from which to take another look at science and work in an applied way to address real problems of sustainability.
- Palomo-Campesino S, Ravera F, González JA, García-Llorente M (accepted). Exploring the current and future situation of Mediterranean silvo-pastoral systems based on stakeholders’ discourses and networks: a case study in the South of Spain. Rangeland Ecology and Management.
- García-Llorente M, Rossignoli CM, Iacovo F Di, Moruzzo R (2016) Social farming in the promotion of social-ecological sustainability in rural and periurban areas. Sustainability 8 (12):1238
- García-Llorente M, Rubio-Olivares R, Gutierrez-Briceño I (2018). Farming for life quality and sustainability: A literature review of green care research trends in Europe. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018, 15, 1282; doi:10.3390/ijerph15061282
- García-Llorente M, Harrison P.A, Berry P, Palomo I, Gómez-Baggethun E, Iniesta-Arandia I, Montes C, García del Amo, Martín-López B (2016) What can conservation strategies learn from the ecosystem services approach? Insights from ecosystem assessment in two Spanish protected areas. Biodiversity Conservation DOI 10.1007/s10531-016-1152-4
- García-Llorente M, Castro AJ, Quintas-Soriano C, López I, Castro H, Montes C, Martin-López B (2016) The value of time in biological conservation and supplied ecosystem services: A willingness to give up time exercise. Journal of Arid Environments, 124: 13-21.