I was born in Almería, so all my personal and professional development has been related to the Mediterranean Sea, it’s arid landscapes and the wonderful traditional crops plains of the Alpujarra. I graduated in Environmental Sciences and later I got my PhD in Applied and Environmental Sciences from the University of Almería. I am currently a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Kassel in Germany. My research focuses on the study of links and relationships between ecosystems and human well-being, from a multidisciplinary perspective with ecological methods and social assessment tools. I have worked on several international projects, such as the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment in Spain (EMEC; Autonomous University of Madrid) project, the Monitoring of the Effects of Global Change on the arid ecosystems of the Levante Andaluz (GLOCHARID; University of Almeria) and the PECS endorsed project Water scarcity and governance across socio-ecological systems (PECS-WaterSES; Idaho State University). Currently, I am working at the go-PRIMA project (Rural-urban transformation in arid and semi-arid areas in the Mediterranean), where I study how transformations in rural systems promote the loss of cultural values and multifunctional landscapes in the Mediterranean, with special emphasis in Northern Africa and Middle Eastern Countries. I love the sea, tapas, sunny terraces, yoga and the Sierra Nevada mountain range.
FRACTAL for me is a space of calm, hope and passion: a place of meeting with colleagues & friends where we develop ideas and passions together, we fight side by side to strengthen science with awareness and collaborative, to empower ourselves and create more sustainable and fair spaces.
- Quintas-Soriano, C., J. Brandt, K. Running, C. V. Baxter, D. M. Gibson, J. Narducci, and A. J. Castro. 2018. Social-ecological systems influence ecosystem service perception: a Programme on Ecosystem Change and Society (PECS) analysis. Ecology and Society 23(3):3. https://doi.org/10.5751/ES-10226-230303
- Quintas-Soriano, C., M. García-Llorente, and A. J. Castro. 2018. What ecosystem service science has achieved in Spanish drylands? Evidences of need for transdisciplinary science. Journal of Arid Environments 149:4-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2018.01.004
- Quintas-Soriano, C., Castro, A. J., Castro, H., García-Llorente, M. 2016. Impacts of land use change on ecosystem services and implications for human well-being in Spanish drylands. Land Use Policy 54:534–548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2016.03.011
- Quintas-Soriano, C., Martín-López, B., Santos-Martín, F., Benayas, J., Montes, C., García-Llorente, M. 2016. Ecosystem services values in Spain: A meta-analysis. Environmental Science and Policy 55:186-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2015.10.001
- Quintas-Soriano, C., Castro, A.J., García-Llorente, M., Cabello, J., Castro, H. 2014. From supply to social demand: a landscape-scale analysis of the water regulation service. Landscape Ecology 29:1069-1082. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10980-014-0032-0